Thursday, May 3, 2012

Faith in my writing

I posted my blogs religiously back in 2007.  At that time I was in Romance writers of America as a professional member, I was doing everything I could to get published.   I went to meetings with agents and I went to conventions of writers.  I changed my books at publishers request  and did everything a writer should do.   Still, after 6 years I did not get published.  

I had a lapse of faith.   The religion of being a writer seemed to have no more heavenly promise.  Books took a year or re to come back with form letters rejecting me. The gods of publishing did not want a male unknown writer  doing romance.  

I basically gave up.  I had 11 books written, and several more partials staarted.  but I lost my drive with my faith.  I stopped paying money for writers group memberships.  I stopped going to meetup groups  to promote my work.   I went back into the cubbyhole of real life,   dealing with animal rescue and nature education.   

But my writer side would not rest.  I began doing other writings.  I made up stories to do storytelling in my nature classes.   I started writing newspaper articles and doing other works.  Still it was not the same. then in 2011 I heard about something that brought me back to life.  I heard about epublishing.

I went to a seminar on epublishing and saw so much potential.  I learned a lot about it and  now I have 4 books out on the epublishing market.   I am putting up the 5th later this month.  I have a whole page on Amazon at >>>   http://www.amazon.com/S.-A.-Stone/e/B005DRI5JS/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1 

I also decided to stop dealing with teh traditional  publishers.   They are the old gods in a new world.  The religion of cowtowing to others idea of what will sell because they like it is over.   Now I can write what I want and how I want.  If it does not sell, then I am the only one at fault.  In the new religion of the word of writing, god helps those who help themselves.

I made a small business out of helping others.  I started an ePublishing help group on both facebook and on Meetup.com.  I started teaaching a bit of what I learned through the local college at Wake Tech, and I started a new business at www.vbooks.com, actually setting up books to publish.

So, I have found my faith in my writing again, and I have started back on my  path to publication.  It is good.  It has healed a hole in my life.

Besides, this is the only way I know I can actually get people to groan at my bad humor all over the world....

More later... or maybe sooner.

No comments: