Thursday, June 14, 2007

Another day another submission part 2

Well, I just finished the submission I was working on all night last night. So, it's done.

Right.

Unfortunately all my writing is supposed to be preofessional grade. That means I have to have it checked. My critique partner reads it over and I have either my spouse or a friend who is an English major look it over.

Of course the first draft is always perfect. I just use the critique partner and all the others to tell me what they as imperfect beings would call wrong with the works. Yeah right. I have to say if it wasn't for spell check, I'd look like a complete idiot half the time.

One of the hardest things to learn as a professional writer is the fine line between being right and being wrong. There are no real hard and fast rules, so what you want to say might work, but it might make you undesirable.

I'll give you an example. In my book Green Haired Beauty, I wrote a scene that was meant to be misleading. I had my main character, who is dressed as a clown entertaining at a kids party. In writing it I left out enough information that it seemed like I was talking about a stripper at an adult party. It wasn't until 3 pages later that you realized the truth.

I loved the scene. My friends all loved the scene. I sent it to contests and each and every one of them hated it. I had a couple of published writers look over it and they said they felt like it was a joke at the readers expense, and they hated it. I eventually rewrote the scene.

So even if I don't agree with what the people say about my books, I always let my critique partner and any of my frinde who are willing read and check the text, then I'm ready to submit.

But I still haven't done that *&%$ synopsis!

No comments: