Saturday, June 23, 2007

To Edit or not to Edit, That is the question...

When I finish a book, I look at it and smile. I usually jump up and do the victory fist in the air (sort of) at a job well done. But is it done?

No, Like I said in an earlier post, I edit my completed books at least 3 times before I even think about submitting them. On top of those three, I send the books out to critique partners.
Leslie Nuccio caught some things in my book Green Haired Beauty that made major changes in the novel. Tricia Bell has consistantly called me on stupid errors and subtle nuances that I just plain miss. After they critique, I have to redit the book again.

But the question comes after I've edited the book 3 times, had it critiqued, and redited. Am I done? I thought so, but I've found that's not always the case. I read through the book just before I submit it to be sure the editor will see it at it's best, and lo and behold, there are huge glaring errors jumping out at me. What the heck happened to my wonderful perfect novel?

I re-edit it once more then send it out. Now I'm done...Right? (Heavy sigh...) Nope. Two months later, when i've bitten my fingernails to the quick and pulled out clumps of hair waiting for some response from the publisher, I glance over my submission. And there is it... On the first page... In the middle of the page... Another stupid glaring error!

I sent in this garbage? How could I have possibly missed the difference between "from" and "form?" How could I have forgotten that critical comma? How could I have put that long paragraph in the beginning of the book when it clearly should be two separate paragraphs.

So, now I have a flawed manuscript in with a submission editor, no fingernails, decorative bald spots on my head, and I still hope I'll get published.

I've only written the book and checked over it 6 times already! How many times do I need to rewrite the thing? It's enough to make me tear out my hair... Oops, can't do that anymore... Maybe I can bite my... No? Darn. Where's that blasted chocolate when you need it?

1 comment:

Sewicked said...

*snicker* Boy, does that sound familiar.