Thursday, June 21, 2007

Frustrating delays

I'd like to think I'm a patient person. I honestly don't rush too many things in life, and I can usually wait as long as I need to for most anything. But I've gotten pretty nervous about how long publishers take to let you know whether they want to publish my books.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the delays. I know that for every winner they get, they have to read through hundreds of books that are just not what they want. On top of the problems of reading through the new submissions, they also have to work on the books they have agreed to publish. They don't call them readers, they call them submission editors because they have to go over the books and edit them before printing.

I was told by a published author that it can take up to 2 years from when they get the submission to when the book actually goes to print.

I think I'll be insane by then! Most publishers say their submission response is at least 8 bweeks. Of the three publishers I have submissions in to, one says 1-12 months response time, one says 4 weeks, but if you don't hear within 8 weeks you can email, but don't call. The third has a 3 month backlog (at least) according to their web page.

On top of the normal delays, the RWA national Conference is coming up. Most of the publisers send editors to the conference to hear pitches. They get literally thousands of submissions between July 15th and August 15th.

One agent sent me an apology because she hadn't even gotten to read my submission for 6 months! It just shows the number of submissions they each get every day.

But I will be published. I know I will. One of my novels will be on the desk in front of the right person at the right time, and I will get that call...

1 comment:

Sonja Foust said...

Darn right you will! It IS frustrating though.