Friday, June 29, 2007

Back online! WooHoo!

You've probably noticed I haven't added any new blogs since Wednesday. That's because I coudn't. My computer did an automatic update, and guess what? It killed it! Yes, that's right, Windows updated with 66 new changes, and my computer decided it had had enough.

Sigh.

We just got this machine a year ago. I'm lucky. I have a neighbor who does computer work for a living. We sat down at the machine and got it up and running (but not online) and turned off lots of stuff I never knew were on. Did you know that there are like twenty programs that do nothing but keep track of what you are doing so the computer can get there first? So if you go online each day at 4pm, the computer gets your online program ready at 1 minute till 4. It doesn't even ask if you want it to.

So, we turned off all the monitoring stuff, and we turned off lots of manufacturers stuff, and we found the lighted eye floating over the pyramid... Oops, wrong story. Sorry.

Long story long (It really cant be made short anymore). I had to totally dump some programs and reinstall them. I didn't lose any data (Thank God!) but it has taken me since Wednesday to get back here.

So, now I get back online just in time to report another rejection. Yep, it's only my 6th official rejection. Oddly enough it feels no better than my first. Stephen King supposedly had over 700 rejections before he made it big. Gads, no wonder the man writes horror!

When you write your first book and submit it, you can't understand why no one wants it. When you've written several books, and you submit one, you know the chances of it selling are slim to none, but you still hope it will sell. That hope is what keep you together. Each rejection is a bruise on your hope, and each one takes a while to heal.

It's a good thing I have an ego the size of the Hindenburg. Of course the size thing didn't help the Hindenburg that much either... Could that old saying actually apply in romance novels? "It's not the size, it's the technique..."

No comments: