Monday, June 25, 2007

what's your bag?

I was at the grocery store today, and I realized how odd life must look from a grocer’s view. I was behind a couple buying soy milk, fresh fruit and Cheetos. Alright, they weren’t really buying the Cheetos, but it’s good artistic license. I really did see a twenty-something woman buying a bottle of Harbor Mist (wine) and a large tub of chicken livers.

I thought about the odd combinations of food and supplies people buy and had to laugh. Yeah, there were people there buying beer and chips, but there were just as many buying Jello and toilet paper. (Another combination I’m not really sure about!)

In the grocery store the poor grocer has to keep a straight face when the big burly men pick up a package of tampons, or the prim proper lady grabs a box of Magnum size condoms.

I watched people for a few minutes and realized the items weren’t the only odd things they were doing. I realized people in a grocery store will dress in way they would never dress anywhere else. There was the lady with the immaculate hair and makeup in line with me. She wore a tailored white shirt with a silver necklace and matching earings to enhance her image. But all of it was lost when you got down to her miniskirt that had a hole worn in the backside and flip flops on her feet.

Believe me when I say that there were much worse dressed people there. Some of the people seemed to think they were home and it was okay to wear stretchy or translucent clothes with no undergarments. Eek! Can we say appetite suppressant!

So yeah, I think life from the view of a grocery clerk has got to be hilarious… Hmm, maybe there’s a couple of romance novels in there somewhere… What do you think?

No comments: